January 6, 2011

Happy New Year! (Recipe)

Happy belated New Years! I started out Jan with a bang- a condensed mini-semester for school and state education tests this weekend. I'm doing the bulk of 10 credits this month so that I'm free to student teach the rest of the semester. Crazy! Lots of sitting, lots of work- it'll be good for developing more patience, a little rough on the body! 1.5 semesters left- the light is in sight :-)

One of my goals for this semester is to be prepared for late nights/end of day burn out by using my crock pot or cooking ahead so I'm not tempted to eat junk. In this fast paced world we live in- I'm probably not the only one who needs to work on this. I'll try to post recipes that my roommate (in a 1 yr nursing program...) and I enjoyed! First up- Chicken Tortilla Soup!                              
             
It was SO good! I also love how colorful it is! I adapted my recipe from this blog if you'd like to see Amy's original.I served it with homemade cornbread, but if I was in a pinch, the jiffy cornbread muffins are quick and easy too.
Chicken Tortilla Soup (Serves about 6)
2 (14.5 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
2 (14.5 oz) cans of chicken broth (I just dumped in 4 cups of chicken broth made from bouillon)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 T. unsalted butter
1 c. salsa
½ c. chopped cilantro
4-5 carrots, peeled and chopped in ¼ inch thick rounds
2 stalks celery chopped in 1/4 in pieces
1-1.5 T. cumin
1/8 t. cinnamon
1 t. chili powder
1.5 chicken breasts, uncooked (I used 1 large breast and 2 chicken tenders)

Combine all of the soup ingredients except the chicken in a 4 – 6 quart slow cooker. Mix well. Add chicken. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. (I put this together after school and cooked on high 3-3.5 hrs- was waiting on my carrots which I cut too big!) Remove the chicken from the soup and shred with forks. Return to the slow cooker and mix well. At this point I threw in a handful of monterey jack cheese and let it cook 20 more mins.
Toppings we used:
Handful of crushed tortilla chips
Light sour cream
Chopped cilantro
Sliced avocado

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment